- The PUFF PASTRY is one of the pillars of French cuisine and world. Has a reputation for being a mixture difficult to prepare, but once you understand the method you can’ safely make at home and it keeps very well in the freezer (But if you want to just do 4 frozon laps and the last two have them after thawed). Requires but, time, because it involves long periods of rest during its preparation. This is the basic recipe from Michel Roux for about a pound of puff pastry. Processing starts from two different doughs, the brick and pastel, which are then merged into a single dough.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 400 grams of butter so cold
Ingredients for the crayon
- 500 grams of flour double zero
- 12 grams of salt
- 200 milliliters of water almost freezing
- 50 grams butter, melted
- 25 ml of white wine vinegar
Prepare the crayon: make a well in the flour on the work surface, then pour in the fountain salt, the vinegar, melted butter and water. Mix until a homogeneous mass, smooth, elastic and fair body. Make a ' ball’ with the dough, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rest for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
While the dough rests, put 400 g of cold butter on a sheet of parchment paper and spread it out with a rolling pin into a flat rectangle and about half a centimeter. Store in the fridge along with crayon.
Put on the Workbench your ball of dough and roll it out so you get 4 flaps (almost in the shape of a cross). At the heart of crayon, place the butter and wrap it by folding over the four flaps (or sides) crayon. Keeping the table well floured, roll out the dough with a rolling pin again trying to give it a rectangular shape, with a thickness of 2 cm and 70 x 40 cm size.
Since the dough should pull the long sides of the rectangle, fold the two upper and lower flaps so that you get three layers. Then, roll out the dough with a rolling pin again always giving the dough a 70 x 40 cm rectangular shape and fold the two short sides towards the middle and then fold back the dough so obtained in half. Put the dough in the fridge for at least an hour, well wrapped in plastic wrap.. This folding operation, the first three layers and the second four-layer, is repeated three more times, making a total of six folding operations or turns. Between a bend and the other, the puff pastry should always stand at least one hour in refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap.
These folds are critical to proving that puff pastry, Once in the oven, will increase its volume due to the evaporation of water which remains trapped between layers of pastry. These layers, After all the folds made, will 144. Once the folding operation, the dough can be rolled out to the desired thickness and used as the basis of sweet or savory recipes. The simple puff pastry, such as the one used to make the fans or the coverage of pies, Bake in a convection oven at 210 degrees for about 15 minutes.